Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Seed vigour – improving methods for seed vigour assessment, and investigating the potential of new techniques.
- Assessing the viability of sprouted seed lots, and whether the tetrazolium test is appropriate.
- Post-harvest treatments, including priming and re-drying to improve the quality of immature and deteriorated seed lots.
- Joined SASA in July 2010 to work as the seed physiologist for the OSTS.
- From April 2008 I worked as a research technician at Warwick HRI on a systems biology project investigating the genetics of biotic and abiotic stress responses in Arabidopsis.
- From 2003 to 2007 I studied for a PhD jointly at the University of Reading and the Millennium Seed Bank Project, RBG Kew. My research focussed on seed development and factors influencing the ability to germinate, tolerate desiccation and acquire maximum longevity.
- 2003 MSc Conservation and Utilisation of Plant Genetic Resources, The University of Birmingham
- 2001 BSc (Hons) Biology, The University of Durham
Environmental and other factors affecting the quality of wheat seed produced in Scotland. Proceedings Crop Protection in Northern Britain 2016. :87-92. . 2016.
Time-Series Transcriptomics Reveals That AGAMOUS-LIKE22 Affects Primary Metabolism and Developmental Processes in Drought-Stressed Arabidopsis. Plant Cell. 28(2):345-366. . 2016.
A local regulatory network around three NAC transcription factors in stress responses and senescence in Arabidopsis leaves. Plant Journal. 75(1):26–39. . 2013.
Developmental changes in the germinability, desiccation tolerance, hardseededness, and longevity of individual seeds of Trifolium ambiguum. Annals of Botany. 105(6):1035-1052. . 2010.
Post-abscission, pre-dispersal seeds of Digitalis purpurea remain in a developmental state that is not terminated by desiccation ex planta. Annals of Botany. 103(5):785-794. . 2009.
Priming and re-drying improve the survival of mature seeds of Digitalis purpurea during storage. Annals of Botany. 103(8):1261-1270. . 2009.