Head of Plant Health
Research interests/Areas of expertise
- Development of international phytosanitary regulations
- Plant health and agricultural microbiology
- Implementation of phytosanitary measures
- Quarantine pests
- Plant pathology
- Following a BSc at the University of Bristol and at PhD at the University of Essex, I was involved in a postdoctoral research project and lecturing at Edinburgh University until joining the Scottish Agricultural College as a specialist adviser in agricultural microbiology.
- I joined SASA in 1992 as head of Plant Health, where my responsibilities include providing scientific advice on drafting and implementation of phytosanitary measures, guidance on surveillance and testing for quarantine pests.
- Following a secondment to the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) Secretariat in Rome in 2002, my experience of international plant health work led to a nomination in 2008 to join the IPPC Standards Committee (SC) as a European representative. I was elected chair of the SC in 2010.